anemone thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClamKnuckle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Forgive me for not having a pic, but I'm stuck in '86 and I don't have a digital camera or scanner....
I have this thing living in a crevice of my LR. It has the shape of an anemone (cylindrical body and little feeler arms coming out the top). On the end of the tentical things are bubbles/balls/what ever you want to call them. It is a brownish clear color with white around what i guess is its mouth and the balls are white too. It only comes out in complete darkness (tank and room light off). I thought maybe it was an aiptasia, but I have never seen a pic of one with bubble tips, and i don't know if they shy from the light. I have been seeing it for more then a month and it is the only one i have seen in the tank. :?:

Does it look like this....

DSCN4827.jpg

i've never seen it head on, just from the side, so i can not say 100%...though the bubble tipped arms look similar (mine look a little thinner)...what's the pic of?

That is a pic of pseudocoryactinis criborreum (spelling?) a non-photosynthetic mushroom. It's possible you have a Pseudocoryactinis spp. or you might try a google images search for astrangia and phyllangia and see if you get any hits with those.

I looked up the images as you suggested and it looks maybe a bit like the astrangia. Is this a bad thing?

Great....Thanks! I'm going to try to get a pic of him and have it scanned at walmart or where ever to maybe know for sure what it is.

Back
Top Bottom