anenome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redchick2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Please help me identify this species. It comes from the Gulf of Mexico. It seems to be prolific and is such an awsome color. Any help on identifying it would be helpful.

Attachments

• DSCF1486.jpg
    DSCF1486.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF1485.jpg
    DSCF1485.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 92
Well, i could be mistaken but i think that its Heteractis. Dont know the normal name for it, but it sure looks like one of them.

I googled heteractis, and I don't think that's it. I couldn't find any that matched the colors these have. these have a knobbley base all the way down and close over their food to eat.

coolest thing is that one rock has around 8 of 'em on it. When they all open up, it's insanely cool. Just don't know what kind of current they need, so thought if I could find out what they are, I can take better care of them. :)

So you have them in your tank right now? Or are they at the lfs?

They are in my tank. The clown fish seem to ignore them, and the crabs just walk across them. They close up at night into tight little slug like things, but when I drop brine shrimp in the tank they all pop open. Cooler than sliced bread.

Last edited:
size wise, the smallest ones I can see are about 1/4 centimeter across te oral disc. The biggest one is aprox 1 1/2 inches. They all have short tentacles, but the really small ones don't have as much of the neon glow as the bigger ones. The one pictured is about an inch across it's oral disc.

They are in my tank. The clown fish seem to ignore them, and the crabs just walk across them. They close up at night into tight little slug like things, but when I drop brine shrimp in the tank they all pop open. Cooler than sliced bread.
Nice score! Did they come in with your liverock as a hitchhiker?

yes and no.... the live rock was collected because they were on it... along with several dozen micro starfish.

im sure you could get some buyers if you could split that into 4's and sell em... hint hint

Back
Top Bottom