Anthony Calfo: seminar on coral propagation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is one of those opportunities that if you have a chance to go you will not regret the time spent traviling. I would be going myself if it was not for some prior commitments that day.

Join us on July 9th, 2005 as author and coral expert Anthony Calfo presents a seminar on coral propagation for the novice or advanced aquarist. Immediately following his presentation Mr. Calfo will lead a hands-on workshop demonstrating coral propagation techniques on a variety of coral types including Zooanthids, Fungiids, Soft Corals, LPS and SPS Corals, and more. These techniques will be invaluable to the reef aquarist who is contemplating propagating corals, or those who want to know how to salvage damaged corals in their aquariums.

Come learn and participate in this informative and unique hands-on opportunity.

This event is free to the public. Free registration will begin at noon and the first 50 to register will receive a free frag.

This is to be held at That Fish Place in Lancaster, PA. Directions to the store can be found here http://www.thatpetplace.com/MainPro/VisitUsDirections.aspx

Some background on the author:

About Anthony Calfo
Author of "Book of Coral Propagation"
Anthony Rosario Calfo was born in Hawaii and lives in Pennsylvania. He is a lifelong aquarist and industry professional that has worked on many levels in the ornamental aquarium trade. In the last decade he has been professionally employed as a wholesaler, distributor, retail storeowner, consultant, and most notably as a coral farmer. He began culturing and propagating corals in the early 1990s and let his passion for the coral realm lead him to build a greenhouse for the commercial inland production of reef coral.

Additional details can be found http://www.thatpetplace.com/MainPro/anthonyCalfo.aspx

I've spoken to devilishturtles and she is supposed to be going as well. Anyone besides me, devilishturtles and bound_for_obx planning on going?

Well, for those who didn't get to make it today, it was a nice seminar. The slideshow/presentation was a bit drawn out but the propagation segment was very informative/enlightening. I learned a great deal today. Then at the end they had a hands on workshop. I didn't get to do that due to the amount of people there but did leave with a beautiful acro frag. (thank you again bound_for_obx for holding my ticket).
It was me, bound_for_obx and devilishturtles there. I can't speak for them but I had a blast. Thanks you two. :D

Indeed. The seminar was very cool. Calfo sure can talk and talk about stuff. But I agree. He has some very informative things to say about many many subjects. Thanks to bound_for_obx for holding me a ticket as well. I walked away with a finger leather frag, as well as a sebae anemone that I had to pay for! :?
The sebae that he fragged got snatched up by the time it was my turn.

I had a great time as well 8)

Its great to hear that everyone that was able to go had a good time and learned more about fraggings and no doubt the importance of captive fragging vs wild collection when possible.

Did he have a hammer and chizel? Its always fun to see folks bring those implements out when they are talking about coral propogation and seeing peoples eyes get huge and you can tell they are thinking "Oh my God!".

LOL Yes, he had a hammer and chisel, as well as a few types of scissors and a wet saw. I believe the shock and awe only hit after he sliced a sebae anemone in half. The anemones were looking great and healing themselves even before the seminar was over. Pretty neat stuff.

Back
Top Bottom