Any Idea What these are?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
As many of you know I like to try and save corals that people claim are near death or dying and give them a chance. So I went to a friends house and he was about to throw away 2 corals and i asked to take them. Thing is I'm having a hard time Identifying these 2. Any help?

xla2vm.jpg

I am almost certain this is a plate coral. It's almost bleached. Not really sure about placement or requirements. Is it beyond saving?
23uwtnq.jpg

First is a montipora, and the second is a fungia. The monti frags look pretty good to me. The plate is pretty bleached but can come back under ideal parameters. They don't need a ton of light and will accept meaty foods.

First is a montipora, and the second is a fungia. The monti frags look pretty good to me. The plate is pretty bleached but can come back under ideal parameters. They don't need a ton of light and will accept meaty foods.

Hey Mr. X it is super glued to a small rock. Should I take it off the rock and just place it right in the sand? It ate some Brine Shrimp last night and the feeding tentacles came out so it should come back. Going to try to switch to Fauna Marin Lsp Color Grow.

If your talking about the plate then it should be on the sand bed, the montis should be on the rocks in a higher light area

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok ill take Off this rock and just put it on the sand bed....Will teh super glue residue hurt it on the bottom?

Nope, not a problem assuming your using super glue "gel"

Nope, not a problem assuming your using super glue "gel"

Yea I only use the gel kind. I took it off the rock but the superglue is stuck to the bottom on the plate coral. I don't wanna damage it.

You should not glue the fungia to anything. They can actually move across the sand bed over time. The montis can be glued though.

Well after 2 weeks this is what the Coral looks like. This shot was taken at lights out. Getting better? Been feeding mysis.

mai73l.jpg

Not sure what these are yet but it seems in some spots they are turning whitish color...
33tj9q9.jpg

The Fungia looks great.

Thanks alot. BIG difference from when I got him. He doesnt move at all. That brown on him I think is some diatoms. I had a small diatom bloom the other day. Can I blow them off him or just leave him be?

As far as moving, it may take a week to move 3 inches....it also may never move. I don't see the harm in gently blowing it off, but it doesn't look stressed in the least. I'd just see what happens.

As far as moving, it may take a week to move 3 inches....it also may never move. I don't see the harm in gently blowing it off, but it doesn't look stressed in the least. I'd just see what happens.

Thanks alot I really appreciate your feed back. 1 Last question if you don't mind. Am I suppose to feed these montis? Or just light.

Just light. As long as you are feeding the fish, there's enough nutrients in the water for them. I would focus on the main elements and make sure they are within range of NSW.
A decent amount of indirect flow is important too, like other sps.

Back
Top Bottom