Any ideas?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b.jent10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So at 4 am this morning, my filter starts making this huge whirring noise out of nowhere and wakes me up. I get up to check it out and as I'm looking into my tank, I notice something is flashing inside of it. I thought my eyes were playing a trick on me....but I'm certain that they weren't. It flashed about five times before it stopped and disappeared. Thinking back, it reminded me of how a lightning bug flashes. ANY IDEAS?! I have no clue as to what it could be...I've never heard of things flashing...and I'm at a loss! But I have to know! Lol

Sounds like electricity? It's shorting out? You don't have any creatures that flash light lightening bugs.

I would normally agree with you, but I don't think it was electricity. It was like it was moving across a single piece of rock until it was hidden, and no where near the filter. And the filter was still working. **** idk honestly. But I don't think it was shorting out. My thought was some kind of hitch hiker? But idk what it could be

The "whirring" filter and flashing may have been a coincidence, but it bears looking into. Is your electrical properly grounded/ GFI protected? If so you are probably safe.

I don't think I have to worry about anything electrical. It's all set up safely. And if electricity was running through my water, wouldn't it damage/kill my live stock?

Not necessarily. If you have any pumps submerged in your tank, they could be failing and arcing. This wouldn't " charge" the tank with electricity and harm fish, but it could be a strong sign of that pumps imminent failure. I would hate to see a pump fail and someone lose livestock! As long as you are properly grounded, and GFCI protected, I feel confident that YOU are safe (the most important thing). For your tanks health, keep an eye out for any failing pumps/ power heads. There is also the possibility that you have a really cool bioluminescent inhabitant in your tank! If so..........awesome!!

I'm sorry...GFCI? And properly grounded? Would you mind elaborating?

I had a brand new hob filter that leaked and dripped right on a wire, dripped down and started arching on the power bar. I got home to a place full of smoke and a melted power bar.. The moral is always use GFI. It can save more than ur fish

Back
Top Bottom