Anyone know or can identify the purple coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

totalEnVy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone know or can identify the purple coral or plant growing on top of the zoa rock?

Attachments

• image-2279721506.jpg
    image-2279721506.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 262
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I added zoomed pic. Hope that helps

Attachments

• image-3363839963.jpg
    image-3363839963.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 232
Is that a plant or coral? Do they get big and aggressive? Plz help me I need to know what it is..

Looks to be soft I don't want to touch it yet looks delicate..

Im not sure what it is but i would trim it back from the zoas so it doesnt block light/grow into them

What do you mean poke it? Is it an algae plant or coral? And do I need to get rid of it or what? Do I need to worry about it?

It looks like a type of algae. I'd only be worried if it starts growing over your zoas. It's pretty cool

Here is what a store in town said when I sent them an email.

Looks like a hypnea species, generally only grows under great water conditions so that's a plus. On the down side all algaes can take over a tank so mechanical removal/ turbo snails should keep it in check. Its a beautiful species though ?

Is that what it is? Looks cool but looks like it will grow out of control..FAST!

Attachments

• image-3542587566.jpg
    image-3542587566.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 163
Well the n if it's an algae you can put it in your sump, use it to help control nitrates, and when you have grown a decent amount you can sell off handfuls for a decent price, around my area a sandwich bag of chaeto goes for $10 so you should at least be able to get that much

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what it is. But I'll give it another week or two to repost it and get a better look at it. Seems to be growing fast, need to see if and how to control it and to keep or not..

That guy above is selling it for 40 bucks for a golf ball sized piece, and the poster before says it grows like crazy....Sounds more important than the zoas to me!

I'm gunna make sure I keep both if I want it. Going to detach it from there if I can..

Back
Top Bottom