Aptaisia ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m3drver

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is this an Aptaisia or just a plain old anemone. I was given an entire setup and this one piece of LR had this growing on it. the previous owner said it was his Clown's anemone but the clown wasn't hosting it. its about the size of a half dollar. When touched with something ( not my fingers) it retacts its tentacles and all that remains is a stump. it doesn't retract into a crevice or hole .

At any rate sorry about the bad pics. Its the best I could do since the rock is quarantined in a tub with a heater and powerhead. Its a fairly larger piece of LR that I'd like to keep but I'd sooner get rid of the entire rock than risk introducing a pest.

thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4980.jpg
    IMG_4980.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4982.jpg
    IMG_4982.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 64
Thanks for the link Scott. I'll give it a try and since the rock is alone in a tub I won't have to worry about my corals.

A turkey baster and some boiling water is all you need. I spent a week looking for pickling lime with no results. Boil some water fill the baster with the water and blast him, being sure not to hit desirable inverts along the way. It will turn white and you can suck it's dead body up with the opposite sucking motion. Super quick and the cheapest and I think the safest way to kill these things IMO. I just boiled some of my tank water as to not affect water quality.

IMO just pick up a bottle of joes juice. It will last a very long time and the anemone's die as quickly as you can inject them. Chances are you will find many more in the future.

Joe's Juice? I haven't seen that at my LFS or at an hours drive to Raleigh NC's biggest FS. Good luck with it if you can find it. Ebay might be good, but aiptasia can grow overnight. 5 days delivery is the earliest I have ever gotten anything on ebay. You choose. Good luck either way!

Back
Top Bottom