Aptasia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EMS503

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was looking at my reef the other day and noticied what looks like an aptasia but it has a green disc. Has anyone ever seen an aptasia with anything but a brown disc. I am trying to get a picture of it later today.
I do have button polyps brown and green in my tank but this looks different.

Could be a majano, although I've only seen a picture of one (if I am remembering the aip correctly) yes...one. Aptasia can be many different colors. The one I'm thinking of was shown by ReefLady on another forum, I could be wrong, I seem to remember it was green, but I do remember it was huge. Maybe she'll see this thread and post.

Gee maybe we could have a contest, Name that critter. :lol:
Still researching but not coming up with anything.

Just found this on the web. Interesting way to remove aptasia.

The straw method. I have come up with my own method. It appears to be the safest and surest way to remove the aptasia. The cost is that of a stick of Two Little Fishy epoxy and a clear straw. You can go to McDonald's or Burger King and buy a shake to get one of these high tech straws. I came to this method because every time I tried to plug an aptasia in a hole it would find a new hole to peek out of. Here is the procedure. Cut a piece of straw to about 1 inch. Use the epoxy putty to stick the straw onto where the aptasia is peeking out of. This will eventually lead the anemone out of the rock and into the straw to peek its tentacles out to capture food and light. Once you see the anemone has moved out of the rock and into the straw tunnel, remove the straw with the anemone in it. Safe and effective. At least I have good results using this method.

I hope this straw method helps a few people rid their tanks of this pest.

Back
Top Bottom