are these Hydroids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carbon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
19468-albums370-picture2359.jpg

I have these everywhere and I don't know how to get rid of them I believe there are possibly nudibranch's that eat these things? that is if they are indead hydroids.. They sting my corals and my anemone does not like them at all, any suggestions??

Yes, they are hydroids. Try making a kalkwasser solution like you would aiptasia and drown them in it :) I have also pulled that variety by hand.

I agree, I knocked mine out with (Jame's) pickling lime suggestion (about the same thing of kalk).

Agree with the kalk paste, but that one looks easy enough to grab at the base with a long pair of tweezers, twist, and pull off your rock. I've found manual removal works pretty well on some colonies, but just make sure you don't let any stragglers float around. I have several colonies in my tank, and one particular one that settled right next to my torch coral. After a couple months next to the torch, it was gone. Hydroids 0, Torch 1. While they aren't the nicest things to have, there's plenty of things worse so don't be overly concerned about them.

Off to the right of the picture, kinda looks like aiptasia tentacles? I'd make those a priority before the hydroids!

Back
Top Bottom