Are these still good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Useable for what? Salt or fresh? In fresh it will raise the ph (perfect for african cichlids) and in salt it will be good base rock and become live rock over time. Just make sure they are well cleaned before putting them in a tank.

One would have to ask where they came from? Store, someones tank, etc... Either way, it would be best to "cure" them in a rubbermaid tub with some source of water circulation, be it a powerhead or a filter. This will simply help break down any dead particles that are on the rock and keep them from affecting your tank's parameters. It will also help establish a small colony of bacteria on the rock, making it "live." Basically, you are cycling the rock. HTH.

Awesome thanks for the info.... I will be usin them for my saltwater tank... They have ALOT of crystals (I'm guess salt) all over them.... The lady I just bought my tank gave them to me with the it... So first I need to "cycle" them in a tub with filters?

You should also inquire if she ever used copper based medication in the tank (Ich cure). If yes, then I would not use the rock in anything but a FO tank.

Back
Top Bottom