Baby Starfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clownfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was looking at my tank the other and saw what appeared to be a very small starfish on the glass, near where some live Rock rests.

I wanted to take a picture but the little guy was moving from the glass to the LR and by the time I found my camera, I couldn't find him again.

It was very small, perhaps a 1/4 in diameter, probably smaller and white. It had the general shape of a starfish and moved fairly slowly.

Any ideas on what I saw. Obviously I did not buy a starfish, I guess it came with my LR. Anything I can do to nuture him and help him grow?

Yup. It looks like the same thing. I've only seen it once and now, of course, my family thinks I'm crazy... :lol:

If all conditions in your tank are suitable, you should continue to see it from time to time. I has been about 4 months since i first saw mine. I think it is kinda cool.

From what I've read that could be one of a few different type of star. I had the same type in my tank...you can read my thread here.

Reefrunner I read your post, but did you ever determine if they were harmful or not. I have not seen mine again, but when I do I'll try to gather more info. Until, I'm hoping they are not harmful, 'cause I kinda of like them.

i have a few in my tank. started with just one in my 20 and in about 7 months time i probably have 6 or 7. mine are a purple/blue color though. i've observed them alot and it seems to me that the only places i see them are in the areas that have algae growing so they don't really concern me but thats not to say mine are exactly the same as yours.

I have seen some of the "miniature" starfish sold in detrivore starter packs. Hopefully it is one like that.

but did you ever determine if they were harmful or not.

After removing the first two, I have seen one more, and I have noticed no ill effect to my SPS corals. So I'm holding now...that I got the detrivorous kind. As with anything...time will tell.

I have what I call micro brittle stars in my sand bed. But they do look like brittles in that they have a small central disk and long thin legs extending out.

I thought about trying to photo shoot a few for a photo contest entry.

Back
Top Bottom