bad anenome's?and a new "sprout"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reneeanneb

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok so are all these anenome's bad?how do i get rid of them w/out killing anything else on my rock?the rock is pretty much covered in these guys.but there are featherdusters on it and my big cuc is in there too along with a couple baby brittle stars and this new sprout,is it some type of coral?and will the anenone kill it?not all of the anenome's are brownish in color some are white. sorry about the cloudy pics i just got done cleaning my tank.tia

Attachments

• dsc00461.jpg
    dsc00461.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 106
  • dsc00466.jpg
    dsc00466.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 126
here is a better picture of the new sprout.the base of it is a maroonsih color and the branches are the same as in the pic.i also saw some more of the branch part of it on another peiece of rock.did a 10 % water change and things just started sprouting 8O

Attachments

• dsc00477.jpg
    dsc00477.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 117
Looks like algae(sprout). The anemones look like majano. It is considered by some as a pest and may overrun your tank. You can get some "Joe's Juice" from the lfs and follow the directions. You do it right in the tank and it will not harm the rest of the family.

electrikat said:
Looks like algae(sprout). The anemones look like majano. It is considered by some as a pest and may overrun your tank. You can get some "Joe's Juice" from the lfs and follow the directions. You do it right in the tank and it will not harm the rest of the family.

so is the alage good?
i took a syringe and boiled water and squirted the anenome in the first pic (there were only 2 of em on that rock)there is nowhere close around here to get the joe's juice or the other stuff i read about. it was quite nasty but i guess i got em good cause they turned to slime.i hit a couple of the smaller ones on a different rock but i dont want to squirt it into the holes in that one ,i know there are friends in there i dont want to kill.have to go to nashville tomorrow so i'll get some stuff then.
thanks

If the boiling water is working then don't bother with the juice. I have heard many people saying that is a good cheap alternative. I have even heard of doing it with kalkwasser.

I agree that the top pic is probably majano anemones. They are a pest like apstasia. The second pic I think is another type of anemone. I know I've seen this before but, I can't remember the name. I'll try to find it, or perhaps steve-s will come by and be able to ID it for you.

electrikat said:
If the boiling water is working then don't bother with the juice. I have heard many people saying that is a good cheap alternative. I have even heard of doing it with kalkwasser.

i didnt want to squirt the boiling water in the rock that has my cuc and brittle stars in it though,the only way to get em good is to get in their hole. i was thinking more on the lines of the kalkwasser,from what i've read it was a better alternative.

i didn't bother any of the white ones,i have found a few of these also. now are the ones with the long tube like things bad? there is a white one on another piece of rock it is the biggest i have found,at first when i found it i thought it was a spaghetti worm because all i could see wad long white stringy tentacles,it was under a rock,i turned the rock over and moved it and now it looks like an anenome,i thought i took a pic of it then and now,i'll look and if i find will post it.
thanx

here is the other white one ,hes behind the rock to hard to get a pic,but he has a long tube like body. pic 485
the other is another unknown white clear jelly looking something anenone ,i cant figure that one out either but there are several of them bunched together.pic 486
thanks,you guys are great :D

Attachments

• dsc00485.jpg
    dsc00485.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 86
  • dsc00486.jpg
    dsc00486.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 89
the first one is a hidden cup coral. It will need fed to survive. I just got some liverock with some on it also. I fed them tiny pieces of silverside. They took it greedily.
The second pic looks like apstasia.

Fluff said:
the first one is a hidden cup coral. It will need fed to survive. I just got some liverock with some on it also. I fed them tiny pieces of silverside. They took it greedily.
The second pic looks like apstasia.
"making a list of things to buy" lfs said that if i put kent marine essential elements it would feed any corals.of course this is the same person who told me to feed anenomes goldfish.i bought anenomes 2 times from him and both times he put a goldfish in the bag with them and they both died. :roll:
thanks fluff you have been so helpful to me these past few weeks :D

The cup coral isn't like a normal coral. In order for it to thrive, each poylp will need individual attention/fed. If you currently use a blender mush you feed your tank, this would work well. Or, I also have been feeding the tank cyclops which the cups seem to like. They have very sticky tentacles so, it doesn't take much to feed them. The food only needs to just touch them. Good luck. :D

thanks fluff.i'm so not prepared for the harder to take care of type corals and such.i'm still working on gettin all my rock.i'm going to have to go for broke and order from lr.com.shipping makes me wanna cry.i dont really know if my lighting is good enough lfs says it is but i'm doubtful.the hood was previously on a fw tank the bulb is for coral life,i dont remember anything about it except the lighing is equalivant to uv at 30 feet? it seems to have made my rock look better. but i also have a reg. lamp with a plant bulb that i turn on when i want to get a better look or some else does. i bought most of my stuff before i found you guys. :mrgreen:

ok fluff got me browsing through corals and i came across christmas tree coral and this is what my "sprout' looks like .it went back into hiding inside the rock now but here is a little closer picture. what do you guys think?

Attachments

• dsc00477_133.jpg
    dsc00477_133.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 72
The CTC is a soft coral with lots of little polyps. If the coral is annoyed, it will retract the polyps but, not it's whole self. I'm gonna stick with my guess that's it's some type of anemone but, I don't know what type. Try PM'ing Steve-s. See if he may know. I believe in his "get to know the advisors" thread, he said his speciality is anemones.

Back
Top Bottom