Bad? Hitch Hiker !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaiNpHRaMe

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently purchased a large zoo colony with 200+ Polyps and I one day while I was staring at my tank I noticed a tentacle. It has a base that swivels around and looks like a zoo as well but it does have a large transparent 6 inch shlong extending from the base. Does any body here know if its a bad invader? I was looking all over the net for anything that resembled this guy but my wildest guess is that its a Digitate Hydroid. Can somebody help me pin this guy down, so far its been the first coral i have introduced into my system and im on standby until I figure this out. Thanks fellas!

Attachments

• CIMG4128.jpg
    CIMG4128.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 105
  • CIMG4036.jpg
    CIMG4036.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 84
My guess is a spaghetti worm that is living in your rock. At least if it's that "thread" that's in the center of that first picture.

Also... next time you might want to post this in our "ID" section. Personally, I don't really know why we even have an "archive" section, but it normally doesn't see much activity.

The strand is a mucus type. Last night one of my hermit crabs crawed onto the rock and it retreated into its hole. He left the mucus stuff balled up and the hermit ate it. It doesn't appear to be a tentacle but rather a mucus membrane. Any ideas?

Bad Hitchhiker? Please repond

I recently purchased a large zoo colony (Unknown type) with 200+ Polyps and I one day while I was staring at my tank I noticed a tentacle. It has a base that swivels around and looks like a zoo as well but it does have a large transparent 6 inch shlong extending from the base. Does any body here know if its a bad invader? I was looking all over the net for anything that resembled this guy but my wildest guess is that its a Digitate Hydroid. Can somebody help me pin this guy down, so far its been the first coral i have introduced into my system and im on standby until I figure this out.

The strand is a mucus type. Last night one of my hermit crabs crawled onto the rock and it retreated into its hole. He left the mucus stuff balled up and the hermit ate it. It doesn't appear to be a tentacle but rather a mucus membrane. Any ideas?

Attachments

• CIMG4128.jpg
    CIMG4128.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 53
  • CIMG4036.jpg
    CIMG4036.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 60
I agree with Kurt. But I'll move this to the ID section.

I have been watching it for a while and i know its not a spagetti worm. It secretes a mucus strand that seemed to get regenerated once my fish went after the brine shrimp it caught.

Oh... yeah. (Sound of me smacking myself on my head). Those would look like that too! I've just never seen their "web" or strand as straight as it is in your picture.

I don't know the scientific name for it right off the top of my head but it's a type of tube worm. It feeds by laying out it's strands which are covered in mucus and hauls food back up with them. I have quite a few in my tank and they are harmless.

should i just stab it with a knife? I dont want it to reproduce.

Personally, I'd leave it alone. It's a beneficial guy to have in your tank (assuming it is a vermatid). I have tons of them here and there. I consider them an additional (free!) part of my cleanup crew. They have a field day when you blast off your rocks with a turkey baster and they cast out their nets!

Back
Top Bottom