Bar goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josh1158

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking about getting some bar gobies and I was wondering if anyone could educate me on them alittle?

I just got one and all he does is move sand. LOL I have sand all over, even on my corals. he's a very active guy.

I think they are also called Zebra/Dart gobies, my LFS has some and they swim in the middle/top of the tank.

That's one of mine.. I have 3 and they are very active while lights are on they will swim throughout the tank but as soon as the lights are off they retreat to a single burrow. They are best kept in pairs or more and school pretty well

Don't be discouraged the first couple weeks then because they are very shy at first

Yeah I've had a some that I thought became hermit food and they show up again a few days later

This thread is case in point why scientific names should be used for fish. We have people discussing at least two completely different gobies, a Ptereleotris and an Amblygobius!

The fish you have is a Zebra Dart Goby. I have one and it only comes out when it is feeding time. I wouldn't get it. It is pretty, but I would get a fire goby instead.

Greenturtle said:
The fish you have is a Zebra Dart Goby. I have one and it only comes out when it is feeding time. I wouldn't get it. It is pretty, but I would get a fire goby instead.

If you only have the one that is why..they need a small school to be active...mine are extremely active

Mrc8858 said:
If you only have the one that is why..they need a small school to be active...mine are extremely active

That's probably why. I would still think that with all the mid-level swimmers in my tank that he would come out more. He's getting more social though, I used to only see him once a week!

Tony Gill said:
This thread is case in point why scientific names should be used for fish. We have people discussing at least two completely different gobies, a Ptereleotris and an Amblygobius!

Sorry my lfs dosent use scientific names. I'm not a fish encyclopedia I dont know the scientific names nore do I care to learn them.

My fish looks like this one. They told me it was a bar goby. If thats not good enuff for you please keep your two cents to your self.
ForumRunner_20120221_020558.jpg

Sorry Josh, I was just trying to be helpful. Aquarium stores should be encouraged to provide scientific names rather than common names that are often made up, and certainly not consistently used in books or on websites. If you search on Ptereleotris zebra rather than "bar goby", you will tap into considerably more useful information on your fish.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom