Big worm?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marshallo1111

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I've known about this guy in my tank for about 2 years it's now about 8". I didn't mind him as he comes out and eats leftover food but recently my turbo snails have been disappearing and think he's to blame. I got a new one only last week to come home from work a few days later and find him sniffing around an empty shell.

The tanks 125l with 2 clowns a peppermint shrimp, a boxer shrimp
I've also got an emerald crab big enough to eat snails, a Halloween hermit, small blue legged hermit and a red legged hermit and about 3 snails left

What should I do, trap it and remove it?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452116299.462241.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nice sized bristle worm there. A good member of your clean up crew. Harmless good guy...just don't touch him. Those spines are the side are like bee stingers. If you want to remove him, get a trap.
These guys are a great identifier on how you feed your tank. If they get big, you feed too much as there is a ton of uneaten food and such around for it to consume.

the hermits are much more likely culprits.
just because the shell is empty doesn't mean anything.
Hermits have to evict the original tenant before they can try it on for fit. ;)

Well that makes sense, i try to keep a few spare suitable shells for my hermits, I guess they decide what works for them ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452357109.603210.jpg
Seems like this little red legged hermit might have killed the nazaruss snail himself. Wouldn't that have been a feat to watch especially as they bury themselves until feeding. He's probably trebled in size in about 18 months.

What is your mg like and how do you test/ calculate i lost all my turbos when i miscalculated my magnesium level and it went about 1600.. the go lethargic at first but then become hermit fodder

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's a fireworm and very bad for a tank not a bristle worm and fire worms unlike bristle worms are not reef safe

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom