Black/dark purple stuff on my LR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have had it running two weeks now but I bought it used and the guy said he had it for a few years. Wish I knew more. Its the only rock that has it.

It does take a while to grow coralline, but that's what I believe it is. Hopefully someone else will chime in and help ya.

Thanks guys, if it is im happy! Cant wait to see what my aquarium will look like a few years down the line ;) I would like to add more rock but not sure what that invovles yet, got some research to do.

Hate to tell you but i don't think its corline.. not yet any how even if you had some nice live rock thats not enough time to spread.. by the looks of ut u got allcultured rock that painted. The dark it cryano starting sorry.

what do you mean by painted? I know the tank os older because most of the
PHP:
equipment is discontinued or older models, that tells me its got many years on it.

Its fake cement rockk painted with a purple paint has darker points to appear it alread had corline.. i think the darker points looks black and the other come up deep purple... cyano is a problem. But the rock isn't... the rock has a great ph buffer..

I might be wrong it wont be the first time but that what i take from the pic... add some more so we can make a better responce. Or should i say take other pictures of your rock to see if it'd consistant

wow I have never heard of that, i hope its not painted! I took a closer picture and you can actually the the disk the polyps were originally on(center of pic) and it has this colour too so doubt its paint. I know I have diatoms.

cor3.jpg
Also here are two more pics that I believe do have coralline on. Sorry about the dark picture but look under the rock in the center.
cor1.jpg
cor2.jpg

Okay here we go... i asked my father who been doing reef tanks since. Mid 90s ... check you phosphate levels. Corline changing to a deep almost black color can be an indicator of poor water quality... also check your cal levels since corline is based on it and last but not least what type of lights are you using could be to much light or to little... try the process of elimination... and o retract mu asumption of acultutred rock.

Phosphate and calcium got it. I am getting a new test kit because I dont have a very accurate one. In the mean time Ill take a sample of my water to the lfs to test it for free. But ill get mine soon. Its going to take some time but it wil come right.

Thank you.

Touch it tell me if its slimy, hairy, soft, hard, or feels like it has bristles.. might just simply be sponge.. now that it seem to be growing up the polyups.

Can't believe no one else chimed in. Sounds like coraline to me... just check those levels... you never did say what kind of lighting you have... on the other hand this is one of the best things about having a saltwater aquarium. Does it appear to be still spreading?

I have 2x odyssea 12000w and 1x odyssea true actinic 65w and 8 led moon lights. Im missing 1 actinic but the one i have is above the LR we are talking about. i really appreciate your input(y) Im new

And yes there seems to be a little more than when I first got it. Just a bit. I can find a good picture from day one to compare it to.

We have been thinking of putting new substrate because I feel the crushed coral in there now is loaded with bad stuff. With the tank, the previous guy gave us all the food and chemicals he had which included seasoned nori that Ive read is high in phosphates (I have no idea what he was feeding this to because all we have are damsels and small inverts) and ALOT of chemicals. Any tips on how to do this? Should I replace it? Will it help or hinder my tank?

Back
Top Bottom