Black Dots covering my sand!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcontes77

Aquarium Advice Regular
H guys,

Just a quick questions, anyone knows what can be my problem, I have a lot of black dots covering my sand.
I have no clue what can it be.

Let me know
Damien

Black or deep purple? Never seen something like that before unless it's beneath the sand surface. Could be a form of cyano.

Pic :?:

Cheers
Steve

bill0298 said:
Question: What is it if it is under the sand surface :?:
Unless I am mistaken they are an accumulation of black sulphides and should be removed.

Cheers
Steve

I found something similar in my tank under a rock that has mushroom coral attached to it. They looked like pices of carbon but I dont use any.

What causes black sulphides to form and what is it?

Wally said:
I found something similar in my tank under a rock that has mushroom coral attached to it. They looked like pices of carbon but I dont use any.
If you used an aquarium sand like CaribSea or other brand it is common to get bits of beach debris in it. I have often found small black pieces of "unidentifiable" particles that I could only guess at.

What causes black sulphides to form and what is it?
Sulphides of any kind are formed soley through anaerobic denitrification. Typically it will leave the system in such small qualntities it does not pose a concern. If it becomes trapped, you end up with large pockets that if released in large numbers will descimate the livestock.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom