Blue Crab? Sand Sifting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey All,

I just purchased 2 crabs from a new local Fish store. He Called them "blue crabs" but I could not find any such refrence online to them.

They are not hermit crabs, and as soon as I put them into the tank, they began diging down into the sand.

I have a $600 Digital camera, but for the life of me, I tried every setting, I can't get a picture that isn't blurry.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about please let me know what kind of crabs These are, They are awesome looking guys. They were only like $7 each too!

I will try to get a clear picture...

Thanks,

-TheChad

If it's the blue crab Innovator linked to, melt some butter and steam that baby up. Yummy!

ok, I finally got a couple of decent pictures... Hope this helps..

-TheChad

Attachments

• 104_1791s.JPG
    104_1791s.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 104_1792s.JPG
    104_1792s.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 104
The 1st one looks like a pom pom crab, at least by the body shape.

The 1st one looks like a pom pom crab, at least by the body shape.

It's definitly not a pom pom, atleast it doesn't look like any of the pictures of a pom pom crab i've ever seen, and it doesn't have pom poms.

It does hold it's claws up like its boxing. I still can't find these crabs online anywhere..

-TheChad

Here's a few more pictures I was able to get today, They are alot clearer.

Attachments

• 104_1795s.jpg
    104_1795s.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 104_1794s.jpg
    104_1794s.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 104_1793s.jpg
    104_1793s.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 84
Ha well congrats you discovered a new species :)

Wow..and I thought I had seen it all. Definitely a new crab in the hobby for sure. Do you know what they eat? Let us know when you find out. Or if you like, let me post the pic where I can get a positive ID for you.

Wow..and I thought I had seen it all. Definitely a new crab in the hobby for sure. Do you know what they eat? Let us know when you find out. Or if you like, let me post the pic where I can get a positive ID for you.

Please do, I would love to know what he is. As for what he eats, No idea. The LFS said algae eater, but I haven't seen him picking at the rocks. I haven't seen him get overly excited or chase after shrimp when I feed the fish either.

Maybe he eats pods? He does burrow into the sand, which I thought was pretty neat. I havent seen him get completely under the sand but atleast 3/4 of his body/legs were under the sand.

Thanks,

-TheChad

Just ask the lfs manager to call the wholesaler and retrieve the common and scientific name along with region. All wholesalers can provide this.

With those funky eyes and the way the legs are it looks like a juvi fiddler crab, but I don't think that's it.

I was going to suggest posting this on wetwebmedia and seeing if Calfo or Fenner can figure it out. Or you can just call the store and ask as Innovator suggested. :)

Bad news...it looks like your little crab does not belong in a tank. It is a type of soldier crab and lives on land/partially submerged..but not totally.
My friend is studying to be a marine biologist, his words "It's some sort of soldier crab. They're land crabs. They shovel loads of sand into their mouths and filter out all the organic material and then spit back out little balls of clean sand."

Related to these
Image:Mictyris longicarpus.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's where I've seen them!! Geeez, I knew I've seen hordes of those lil pinchers in documentaries...couldn't quite place my memory. Thanks for getting the proper info :D

Bah, I'd keep it and make a proper display for it, definitely worth it :)

Bah, I'd keep it and make a proper display for it, definitely worth it :)
I don't really see how you could long term unless you were to frequently change the sand with new sand from the beach<<<illegal....:(
He would run out of the organisims he needs to eat.

Back
Top Bottom