Bought Tank with CORALS - Need ID and Care info HELP - PICS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikebranson

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey Guys -

I have been running a saltwater tank for about a year now so i know a little about how things work... Last week when my tank cracked i went and purchased a guys used 115g das tank and system along with all of his LR and corals. I have NO clue about what corals i have or how to care for them. Please look at the pics and help ID them and let me know what i need to do to care for these....

These pics were taken shortly after the lights came on this a.m.

Water Parameters

Salinity 1.022
PH 8.0
KH 9.0
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0
Ca 400
AM 0
temp 80

2 48" vho actinics
2 48" vho 10Ks

img_437762_0_dff71cc8aaf43636fb1dd259482e91ff.jpg

img_437762_1_8a60bf8309db985604d43d5f4979159a.jpg

img_437762_2_a4d2db5396d618a946bb35c6ec3332fd.jpg

img_437762_3_4c0a114ffa38e8aa475cbdb58235e49a.jpg

img_437762_4_0c8befe74367b029cbc3a5b3512df68b.jpg

img_437762_5_091367bd03fd1757d09759c259f47689.jpg

img_437762_6_90482c2f23ba931779c8254c94cb14eb.jpg

top picture (left to right and then down just like reading)
Undisclosed leather coral
Bubble algae (try to remove without popping them)
mushroom (coralimorph)
Trumpet Coral (Caulastrea)

Next Picture
Open Brain Coral (Trachyphyllia)

Next Picture
Moon Coral (Favia)

Nex Picture
Frogspawn (Euphyllia)

Next Picture
Torch Coral (also Euphyllia)

All of your LPS corals (basically everything but the leather and mushrooms) benefit from occassional feedings of blender mush. I'm sure that there is a recipe somewhere on this website. Also, when purchasing any new corals be sure to place different species away from the brain, frogspawn, and torch corals. They all have sweeper tentacles and will start fights with neigbors of different species.

so i should seperate the torch coral from the frog spawn? They are pretty close together right now.

definitely, and the valonia (green bubble algae) can become quite a nuisance, so like previously mentioned, try to not break any. I would try to remove the pieces of rock that do not have coral on them, that do have the valonia, and clean them.

will do

the guy that i bought it from "loved it" and i was very weary of it. I bought a few emerald crabs to take care of some of it. How do the emerald crabs eat the algea without breaking it?

TIA

Michael

I never understood the emerald crab logic myself. I would manually remove them. If you give them a gentle twist, normally they just pop off. But again, it's better to do this outside the tank just in case. Have a bucket of sw there also to do a rinse....just in case.

IDs are correct. I would be very learyof having that juvenile Koran in with all those corals. Looks like it is already making a reservation for lunch with your brain coral. these fish are not reef safe.

lando said:
IDs are correct. I would be very learyof having that juvenile Koran in with all those corals. Looks like it is already making a reservation for lunch with your brain coral. these fish are not reef safe.

really????!!!!

the LFS said it would be fine - and i looked in a book they always have on hand and it did as well. I have noticed him picking at my LR alot - maybe i should see if the LFS will exchange him for something safer....... 8O

lando said:

really????!!!!

the LFS said it would be fine - and i looked in a book they always have on hand and it did as well. I have noticed him picking at my LR alot - maybe i should see if the LFS will exchange him for something safer....... 8O

Next thing to do is find new LFS :wink: A quote from Marine Fishes by Scott W Michael..."Reef Aquarium Compatbility: NOT recommended. Will nip at sessile invertebrates, including stony and soft corals, and clam mantles." trustme, they are NOT reef safe. Just a matter of time...

Thanks Lando - I made a call to my LFS and he said that he would exchange the koran for something safer, so i am gonna take him up there tmr probably......

Thanks for the info again guys

Michael

THAT IS A REALLY NICE FROGSPAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Koran's and most of the other large angels, as juveniles, can be housed with corals but only as juveniles and thats definatly not always 100%. I agree with Lando, I would start finding him a new home very soon. IMHO

Karl

Jason said:
THAT IS A REALLY NICE FROGSPAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks - when i purchased the tank it was in there - it was HUGE but sadly it broke into a few pieces during transport...:( Its still doing great and even them smaller frags are bright and bold colored.

karlseith said:
Koran's and most of the other large angels, as juveniles, can be housed with corals but only as juveniles and thats definatly not always 100%. I agree with Lando, I would start finding him a new home very soon. IMHO

Karl

He is long gone. It took COMPLETELY tearing my tank apart to get him, but none the less - he is back at the LFS.

Back
Top Bottom