Branching Hammer....branching more???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty27

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone explain what these "pimples" on my hammer coral are? It almost looks like it's growing additional tentacles from the middle of it's already existing tentacles. Or is this a bad sign?

hammer1oa2.jpg

hammer2kf8.jpg

hammer3dz5.jpg

Normal...because it looks like your coral is actually a Frogspawn and not a Hammer. :)

Can you get a wider out shot of the whole coral? Kinda tricky to tell.

I totally agree DT...that is a frogspawn not hammer. When it adds heads you will see them appear at the base of the other heads near the hard skeleton of the coral. If I can get a good pic of it I will show you what it looks like because my Frogspawn is doing exactly that.

Wow, so it is! It was sold to me as a "branching hammer" at my LFS. But regardless, I'm happy with it!

So I'm guessing that growing additional heads is a positive sign!

Growing additional heads happens at the skeleton, not the fleshy part. What you are seeing growing is just a normal part of the coral, not a sign of growth. Growth is LPS is generally quite slow, but you'll be able to see it happening over time as one skeleton slowly develops into 2. Keeping Ca levels in range and low PO4 and NO3 will aid in that happening. :)

Back
Top Bottom