Bright Red Worm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awillemd1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone help me identify this worm and/or tell me if it is good or bad to have in my sand? :?

Thanks in advance.

awillemd

Attachments

• worm_small_208.jpg
    worm_small_208.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 111
Hard to tell from the pic but probably some sort of polychaete worm. Likely harmless but if you have corals, you may want to keep an eye on it.

Thank you! I apologize for the picture. I don't have a very good digital camera.

I forgot to add a few observations. These worms spend all their time under the sand. I caught the one in the picture with a coat hanger and I was able to place him on a rock. They don't seem to have bristles like the fire worms or bristle worms, but he does seem to have some sort of feelers on at least one end of his body. I have at least 10 places in my sand bed where I can see these bright red feelers sticking out of the sand about 1 or 2 mm. I think there must be a worm under each of these. Should I be concerned with these worms becoming too populated? Should I add something that would eat them, possibly an arrow crab (I read somewhere that these will eat bristle worms)? :?

Thanks in advance for more advice.

awillemd1

That description helps. :) How big is the worm itself? I have an idea of what they are but need to know size to be sure. An arrow crab will take care of your bristleworms but will also take care of any desirable ones as well. You can control your bristleworm population by limiting thier food. Feeding less often, or less amounts so that it's all consumed by the fish will help.

Wow, ok. What I was thinking wouldn't be that long. Well, without a clearer pic (especially of the head area) I can only say it's "probably" a harmless polychaete worm. Sorry I can't help more.

I will see what I can do about getting a better picture. One thing I noticed that I think must be related to what species he is, is that I could see little light and dark rings as he moved from the rock back into the sand. Also, I think he has tufts of feelers either on his head or his tail and that is what I see poking up in my sand bed.

awillemd

Back
Top Bottom