bristle worm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simon sid james

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello all,im just wondering if any 1 has any GOOD advice on ridding my tank of bristle worm.i recently purchased a large amount of live rock and i seem 2 have aquired some unwanted guests.so if any 1 can help i would be very greatfull,i work in a aquatics shop and have tried the standard trap and it didnt work :roll:

Any reason your wanting to get rid of them? Are they jumbo sized? Quite frankly I enjoy having them in my tank.

i understand they can be distructive towards corals as they get bigger,and ive read they grow and breed astoundingly quick.besides my mandarin didnt seem to like it when she attacked 1 lol.

Hmm, that is weird, I have never heard that...Can you scoop them all up and send them to me? I would love them

The common bristleworm is a detrovore. Basicly they eat dead flesh and fish waste. Some rare bristleworms can attack corals but they are rare in the aquarium. Yes some can get quite large and could become a hazard (maybe). But the common small bristleworm is of no real harm in my book.

Some will clame they attack fish or eat healthy corals. The issue is people never see them attack the live fish. They just see the fish dead in the tank and brislteworms all around. Well that same logic would tell you that buzzards kill animals but the truth is they just clean up after its dead. Same with the worms. They get a bad wrap for being so much of a "jonny on the spot" when it comes to dead flesh.

When it comes to them eating corals well sometimes its hard to tell a healthy coral from one that is slowly dieing from the inside out. Same holds true with clams.

Some will clame they attack fish or eat healthy corals. The issue is people never see them attack the live fish. They just see the fish dead in the tank and brislteworms all around. Well that same logic would tell you that buzzards kill animals but the truth is they just clean up after its dead. Same with the worms. They get a bad wrap for being so much of a "jonny on the spot" when it comes to dead flesh.

This is the same with crabs, whenever something is dead, they are gonna grub out, but to be honest that is what they are there for

define "small" vs "large" bristle worm. The only reason I am starting to
get a little concerned is that they no longer wait until lights out to show
themselves..the gray ones are sunbathing on the liverock under the halides!

Back
Top Bottom