Brown Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Ponds

Thought you guys might like to see my ponds as well. :) The one with the Koi has a ton more water hyacinth now and a big algae problem that I need to address. The one with the cascading water fall has no fish. Both were presents to my wife and have been modified over the years. :)

Thanks Carey. My wife loves them. The koi pond gets tons of tadpoles and baby frogs each year. We are serenaded every evening. Sometimes you can't hear yourself think. LOL My wife goes out every night with the flashlight and searches for the frogs. She loves them and has even named some of them. hehehe The koi pond has a couple of underwater lights in it and the other one now has some landscape lights that shine down on it. Looks very nice at night.

I bet! My mom had a koi pond and it was nice, but not as nice as yours! hehe

My doctor showed me his Koi pond, 40,000 gallons!!!! It is his whole yard it looks like. But spectacular. lol

I couldnt imagine keeping an outside "tank" the work on the inside tanks is crazy I cant imagine doing it large scale and outside!

40,000??? Wow. These have not been toooooo much work because I don't keep them up like I should. The koi don't seem to be affected by the algae but it just make it so you can't see them. LOL I think it is time I get some filtration on it and maybe some UV stabilization since they get a lot of sun. I may tie them together so the the one with the cascading water fall feeds into the koi pond. Then I would only have one filter set up to worry about. What a day or two of pick and shovel work anyhow. LOL

Speaking of ponds... Would you by chance know where I could get heaters for a pond? My neighbor asked me yesterday and I had no clue. It was the first time I've heard someone trying to keep their pond from freezing over in the winter. If it helps any, he wants it at 75F with outside temps as low as -30F. And I think its around 800-1000 gallons

Being in GA I don't have to worry much about that. Ours freeze up once or twice a winter but it doesn't affect the koi. Having grown up in NE Montana I would say the only way he will be able to do that is with a gas fired pool heater. LOL

I was looking at some of those last night. They aren't to pricey either. I think he's crazy, but to each their own. I looked into solar heaters as well, which would be great in the summer with 20 hours of sun, but it would completely useless in the winter once we hit 7 hours of daylight.

A poolheater might be the best option I'd think, what with all that water. One of those things I guess....these crazy pond people. LOL j/k...I'm just jealous

I'll keep looking around for him. It did peek my interest. I don't really have any room to talk about him being crazy though. All my hobbies are far from cheap(snowmobiles, r/c helicopters, and saltwater). Though I did make a good deal with my lfs owner and sold one of my helicopters to him, and he gave me 3 monti caps for free (red, green, and purple). I still have 8 helicopters left, and they aren't the little ones you buy at the mall either. Anyways, what about a nature gas pool heater? Do they make those? I think that would be the cheapest route since almost everything runs off nature gas up here.

I had a neighbor who made one for his pool when i lived in NJ. He was a welder and made it himself, but it heated the pool way too much lol. He used coils and some tanks and was set. I have no idea what he did exactly though. But it can be done.
:)

Hrm. Well my friend is a welder, so I got that step covered. And the neighbor is a plumber. Looks like when I get home I have some research to start doing. Now I'm really interested.

If you want to build it you need to talk withe a heating and air guy a bit too. You need build what is called a Heat Exchanger. But to answer your first question, yes they make and sell natural gas pool heaters. Although, you may have a hard time finding a pool contractor in AK. LOL

Back
Top Bottom