Brown Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdnelson99

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 45G tank was set up 1-1/2 weeks ago with Live Sand. 7 days ago I installed about 20 lbs of live rock and 10 lbs of base rock. Lighting runs from 9:00 AM to 11:00 PM. Yesterday, something covered one piece of the base rock (pictured) as well as some in the live sand and growing on the glass at the opposite end of the tank. I am assuming it is brown algae and nothing to worry about. Is that correct?

Additional questions:
1. Since this is just beginning to cycle should I be doing any water changes? If so, what frequency and how much.
2. Would it be time to introduce a cleanup crew other than the two stomatella snails that seemed to come in with my live rock?
3. Is there anything I should be doing to maintain the canister filter or should I just leave it along.
4. Do I need to cut back on my lighting duration?

Any advice would be appreciated.

It is brown alge. I would cut the light back a bit and just test you water if you have zero nitrates and zero amonia then do a water change and your good to go. It woudnt hurt to put a clean up crew in just to make your job easyer.

Thanks scubasteve03. I appreciate it. I am taking a water sample in today and plan on purchasing a good test kit so I can start monitoring it myself. There will be a delay of at least 2 - 3 hours before I can get from the store to the my house. Think some critters would make it that long if I brought them into my air conditioned office? Also, I have been told the "Reef Master" test kit is what I need once my tank is established but that I need the "Saltwater Master" kit in the meantime. I would prefer to buy just one. Any thoughts?

For sure get the saltwater master API kit. Don't worry about the reefmaster til after you get some corals in there.

And no, I wouldnt recommend any living creatures in the tank until you've cycled, even snails and hermits.

I would cut back those lights drastically, you have nothing needing the lights anyways, you can actually go lightless til after you cycle.
I'd leave the canister filter alone for awhile til after your squared away with your cycle.
I wouldnt do any water changes yet, we'll see what your water tests at to be sure. The testing kit is probably the single most improtant thing to get right now.

I would say ether one just remember that at this stage in your tank you want to keep track of your nitrats and ph and amonia as long as you have those you should be good. I put my clean up crew in after my levels where correct. To help me with the alge. Sounds like your doing a great job keep up the good work and remember be patient it takes time for a wonderful system

Great Carey. I appreciate the input. I knew the lighting was at least a part of the issue but just didn't want to give it up. {sigh} Even with nothing in the tank but LR it is so pretty to look at. My daughters and my wife (her B-Day present) love looking at it trying to find little critters. LOL If I wait until mid day or early afternoon to turn the lights on can I keep them going in the evening? My concern is how much light it is getting from the big window next to it. I just love looking up from the TV at night and seeing the tank glowing brightly.

I know the feeling. I look at my tank all day and wish I had moonlighting to see them at night. lol

I think it would be fine in the late afternoon or early evening to keep them on for your viewing pleasure. :) Once you get started up with corals though you wills till probably have to adjust that light schedule, 14 hours is a bit much if I'm doing my math correctly.

What kind of lights do you have now? Like how many bulbs and what colors are they?

I run my blues from 9am to 10pm and my whites from 10am to 9pm and everything seems to be happy enough in my tank.

I know the feeling. I look at my tank all day and wish I had moonlighting to see them at night. lol

I think it would be fine in the late afternoon or early evening to keep them on for your viewing pleasure. :) Once you get started up with corals though you wills till probably have to adjust that light schedule, 14 hours is a bit much if I'm doing my math correctly.

What kind of lights do you have now? Like how many bulbs and what colors are they?

I run my blues from 9am to 10pm and my whites from 10am to 9pm and everything seems to be happy enough in my tank.

I have a two lamp T5 HO fixture with a white lamp and a blue lamp. I believe they run on the same ballast so I don't think I can split them up. I have seen the LED Moonlighting in some pictures and I love the look. Once everything is established, would that be a good way to extend the viewing time? In other words, would the Moonlighting have the same affect as the regular lights?

Depending on the fixture some moonlighting is quite bright. The ones on the odyssea fixtures is really bright. :)

Are you planning on keeping corals cause the t5 dual bulb probably wont cut it.
How wide is the tank? Maybe I can link a few upgrades for you. Just for general information.

Depending on the fixture some moonlighting is quite bright. The ones on the odyssea fixtures is really bright. :)

Are you planning on keeping corals cause the t5 dual bulb probably wont cut it.
How wide is the tank? Maybe I can link a few upgrades for you. Just for general information.

The tank is 36" long, 12" deep and 24" tall. Yes, I want some corals. Mostly soft coral I think but some hard corals as well. Bellow is my wish list. :) All advice is very much appreciated. I have seen a lot of your posts and I trust what you say. You obviously are hooked. :)

Wish List:

Fish:
Clownfish
Damsel
Foxface/Rabbit (at a later date)
Hermit Crab
Tang/Surgeon
Couple of Snails

Corals:
Mushroom/Leather
Star Polyp
Finger Leather Colt
Sea Matt/Button Polyp
Toadstool

I'll take a looksie and see what I can come up with for a 36" tank. Should be lots of options. :)

Do you mean to put those all those fish into your 45g? The tang requires ALOT more tank, some can go into a 75g but the majority need a 125g 6foot long or bigger tank.

The foxface I was looking at too, but the poisonous tines threw me back so I took it off my wish list. lol
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Foxface Lo

It says it might nip at corals as well and is somewhat aggressive.

You can use www.liveaquaria.com to see almost any fish you dreamed of and its requirements.

Yes, after putting the wish list together I read more about the tang. Most likely wont go that route. These were just a list of what I liked that I thought would get along ok. Wasn't sure if I could get them all in or not but wanted something to go off of when I go the LS and start making purchases. Was hoping they could advise me. I will check out those links you sent. Thanks,

That Sundial with LEDs and separate timers is killer. With a killer price. LOL May be a X-Mas present in the making though. :)

Carey is spot on and i would shut the lights down and get a test kit asap! as for zero nitrates - no way! wont happen if your tank is cycled! ammonia and nitrite is supposed to be zero by the time you begin to stock up! nitrate levels are not AS important until fish are in, if anything higher nitrates accompanied by zero ammonia & nitrite is a good indication of the tank being ready for adding some life to the tank! Carey's advice is well worth listening to!

Carey is spot on and i would shut the lights down and get a test kit asap! as for zero nitrates - no way! wont happen if your tank is cycled! ammonia and nitrite is supposed to be zero by the time you begin to stock up! nitrate levels are not AS important until fish are in, if anything higher nitrates accompanied by zero ammonia & nitrite is a good indication of the tank being ready for adding some life to the tank! Carey's advice is well worth listening to!

I have noticed that about Carey. :) Love the way all of you guys jump in to help people like me. Makes this all that much more interesting and fun.

Yeah, I have a 48" 4 bulb T5 that has individual timers for each function and it's killer! Love it so much too bad I'm selling it lol
My current nova extreme pro 12 bulb I use now has no timers and no moonlighting, but it was the only 12 bulb system I could find and it's a top notch unit so I got it. I do miss the timers though and the moonlights.

As far as nitrates, after a tank is cycled it can be brought down to zero with proper water changes and tank maintenance. I am currently at 0 in my 125g and was running 0 in my 55g too. I think my skimmer and my anal retentiveness is the reason though. HEHE I have nothing to do but take care of the tanks I have.

I have noticed that about Carey. :) Love the way all of you guys jump in to help people like me. Makes this all that much more interesting and fun.

the people on this forum are great! Some other forums they can be a bit nasty and elitist but no one judges here and is usually more than happy to help. :)
I find it fun reading all the questions and learning, so much more fun like this than reading by yourself and trying to grasp what you want to do.

I'm glad youre happy with the advice. And thats all it is, is advice and opinions. In the end it's your tank so do what you feel is right. :)

That is exactly why I like this forum. I want to be able to say I did it and didn't just follow directions. At the same time, reading it all on line gets to be a bit much as you said. Plus, here you get to what other people have done and that is always a treat.

It seems like your on the way to a great tank, some other ideas for fish for your tank where your limited with space are, clowns like a pair of perks, royal gramma, some sort of wrasse, anything for a nano tank would be fine for a little mix of fish I have a clown goby in my 84g and he's so small but it's fun trying to spot him around the live rock. Also I bought a metal halide on eBay and it was one of the best fixtures I have had yet. It's a 150w halide, with 2 blue t5 it's smaller but I mounted it from my roof to come down with wire and hang over the tank. It was a steal at 150$ it also has 2 super bright moon lights that are nice touch for the night time it's made by odyssey you should check it out on eBay anyways goodluck.

Back
Top Bottom