Bryopsis? Grrrr...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
40 gallon fowlr with very light bioload currently... Tank is 3 weeks, maybe 4 old. I used all new sand, and all the 40 lbs of liverock was transferred from my 55, except for 2 pieces which were sterilized dry rock from my LFS. I never had bryopsis in my 55, where did it
come from if it is and how do I get rid of it? No fun, please help...

image-2397389047.jpg

Attachments

• image-2472808412.jpg
    image-2472808412.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 155
  • image-1857368234.jpg
    image-1857368234.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 162
You can raise magnesium up to kill it off. They say using "Kent Tech-M" is the best way. I don't know why this is supposed to work better.
Otherwise, water changes, reducing feeding, bla bla bla....the same procedure you would use for any other nuisance algae or cyano.
If it's only on the back pane, I wouldn't really worry about it. I'd just rip off the large strands every so often. It's an in-tank refugium.

You can raise magnesium up to kill it off. They say using "Kent Tech-M" is the best way. I don't know why this is supposed to work better.
Otherwise, water changes, reducing feeding, bla bla bla....the same procedure you would use for any other nuisance algae or cyano.
If it's only on the back pane, I wouldn't really worry about it. I'd just rip off the large strands every so often. It's an in-tank refugium.

Thank you sir... My LFS said that the Kent M has an ingredient that isn't public info, that makes it more effective. True? Maybe... But is it def bryopsis you think? It's starting to grow on a couple rocks too...

So if I dose to raise my mag, will this be detrimental to the fish/inverts/anemone in my tank?

No. Use Tech-M from Kent, and I forget what to raise it to, but just google "raising mag to kill bryopsis".

No. Use Tech-M from Kent, and I forget what to raise it to, but just google "raising mag to kill bryopsis".

I usually shoot to pull Mg up to around 1500-1600 ppm to rid algae and maintain 1300ppm to prevent it. I haven't had an outbreak in quite some time (knock on wood)

I usually shoot to pull Mg up to around 1500-1600 ppm to rid algae and maintain 1300ppm to prevent it. I haven't had an outbreak in quite some time (knock on wood)

And does this throw off any other balances of the tank? Once the algae is under control I intend on beginning to add corals. What else will I need to keep an eye on to maintain a healthy tank?

And does this throw off any other balances of the tank? Once the algae is under control I intend on beginning to add corals. What else will I need to keep an eye on to maintain a healthy tank?
Keeping calcium and magnesium balanced is the first step. Your alk should fall into a good range in its own once your levels are correct. For corals, I tried to keep Ca-400ppm, Mg-1300-1350, temp at 78-79*F, phosphates as low as possible, nitrates as low as possible but definitely below 20ppm max, and of course ammonia and nitrite need to stay at 0. Then you just use a good reef salt mix and do your weekly water changes to keep replenishing your trace elements and other parameters. I ran my reef for 3 years without dosing anything. I didn't have much sps other than a large acro colony, mainly and LPS dominated tank. My levels stayed correct with my water changes. I lied sorry I did drip kalkwasser for my ATO so technically I did dose although it was a primitive design lol

Ok I have just begun to dose kent m tech for mag... Hopefully this process works.

Ok I have just begun to dose kent m tech for mag... Hopefully this process works.
That one if the easiest ways just make sure you don't bring it up too fast. Depending where your Mg is now. It may take you a while to safely bring it up

Picked up a red sea mag test kit today... For $40 it should be a little easier to read a single trace element. Put it down, and will post results once I feel not so defeated lol...

Figured the test kit out lol... Sometimes I feel like a mad scientist with all the reagents and titrators lol... Anyways, at 1400 ppm. Hopefully will get to
where I need to be this week.

Should I cool it with water changes while raising the mag level? I tested the water for trates and ammo yesterday and good...

I would keep up with water changes. Even though you may be losing some mag, you are also replacing other elements.

Before and after pics so far with this battle.. Also
Posted this in my build thread I started...

image-3738106199.jpg

Attachments

• image-1120918724.jpg
    image-1120918724.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 80
Back
Top Bottom