Cacoon looking things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbrodys

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Found these growing on my rock and in my overflow

image-3002829027.jpg

I've been out of the ID game for a while but it looks like a form of worm. Just a harmless feather duster. Won't hurt anything but if you don't like it take it out.

It's not a worm at all. It's a sponge. Pineapple sponges to be exact. Harmless filter feeders. Great to have.

Oooooooo that's what they are! I have had them for awhile and never knew what they were. Do they benefit the tank at all? How so?

They're just filter feeders. They eat up any small particles and phytoplankton an micro zooplankton. If there's a lot of them it may indicate that you have some water issues like excess nutrients. They arent a pest themselves but an a lot of them means that something is off somewhere.

When I had a sea clone hang on back slimmer, I used I have a lot in the main chamber where all the nutrient rich water would gather before getting skimmed. You might find them in dead spots in the DT where water slows down giving that spot a little extra nutrients or in a sump before the skimmer chamber.

Back
Top Bottom