can anyone ID this crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mle421

Aquarium Advice Freak
i know this isn't the best pic, but he wouldn't come out any more
ps, he's kinda hairy too if that helps

Not sure about the detrius thing.. but they are algae grazers...... they're great crabs to have and alot of fun to watch...

I have a sally and I have watche peppermint shrimp walk over them at feeding time and the sally could care less. Had to get rid of my emeralds and arrow since they were eating my cleaner shrimp.

The sallys are pretty non-agressive.... I mean anything with claws could tear up a fish and they're REAL fast... but I've got three in my tank.... one of them a GOOD sized crab and haven't seen them attack anything......

ARE YOU SERIOUS ??? This is all from LR you bought from LR.com ??? I should've gotten my rock from them...... sounds like you got a great load of hitchhikers.... congrats on the rock buys......

tmcpeek said:
I have a sally and I have watche peppermint shrimp walk over them at feeding time and the sally could care less. Had to get rid of my emeralds and arrow since they were eating my cleaner shrimp.

I understand arrow crabs are a bitch. They arnt too nice from what I have heard from my old roomate. Is this accurate?

bad news, they're not sally lightfoots. at least i dont' think they are. i still have'nt properly ID'd them. but all my hermits and snails are fine and so is my shrimp. i also hear clicking coming from the tank a lot. i don't think its a mantis though, cause i watch my tank constantly and i only have three rocks. i've searched them all thoroughly and have found nothing but these crabs. hears a thread from a while ago that i read that made me suspect these crabs and not a mantis or pistol.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=36567&highlight=crab+mantis

i just wish the picture was still viewable :?

If not a mantis, then a pistol shrimp. Pistols are no problem. I got 3 or 4 of them with LR.com order last summer. Along with a mantis. :roll:
The hitchhikers are nice, but there are a few that are a pain.
Never heard of a crab that makes clicking sounds.

PS, keep you eyes peeled though. Mantis can bury deep in a rock. Sometimes its months before you discover them.

ill keep my eyes open. i haven't lost anything yet. not even a snail! and all six of my hermits are fine too. if it is a mantis, then what's he living off of? pods?

Back
Top Bottom