Can someone help identify this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SFAquariums1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, this is on top of my snail sorry for the bad pic. The only place in my tank this is, is on my snail! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424988798.170804.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks like bubble algae. Feeds off of nutrients in the water column. If a snail or hermit don't move for a long period of time, it is basically like a fancy piece of rock for algae to grow. I have a fuzzy chiton in my tank that spent at least a week and a half in one spot and it had some bubble algae grow on it.

So it isn't detrimental to my system then? Eventually it will just pop or go away?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well it points out nutrients in your water column. It won't go away, that's for sure. One bubble turns into two and so on until the nutrient levels in the system are absorbed. This is why algae turf scrubbers are effective, but it is simply putting the algae in a different location...same with a refugium. I once discovered a cluster of bubble algae in my tank behind the rocks the size of a fist. I simply rehoused it into my refugium. It is doing a job after all.

Back
Top Bottom