Can Someone Identify this Hermit Crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellow Eye Tang

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey, i was wondering if anyone knows this little guy. He was in a tunnel on a piece of live rock i got and when he came out he's been leaving a path of cleanliness along the rock. I cant belive hes totally turned a 3-4 year rock white along his path. He's cleaned it so good its almost like he ate the rock itself. He's kinda dirty too ive noticed where he's eaten he's left a path of doo behind him. :lol: Anyways im wondering i hes gonna eat everything in there, or damage the water conditions. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks :)

Looks like a blue leg hermit to me, need to see more of the crab to be certain. You can look at the past photo winners...one of the winners was a pic of a blue leg hermit crab.

Yes his legs are dark blue with light blue stripes. I think hes really cool but is he reef safe? Will he eat benificial bacteria off the rocks or anything crazy like that?

Blue leg hermits are generally considered to be reef safe and beneficial, IMO, no crab is truely reef safe. They are opportunistic and are omnivores not herbivores. With that little disclaimer, I have had them with no problems and I have some dwarf zebra hermits in my tank now,

Back
Top Bottom