Candycane or Trumpet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure why it didn't show up. I posted it below.

I agree with Mike.

I don't know either....It was sold as candycane. I thought it was trumpet also. Does the fact that it has 2 mouths mean it will split or multiply or does this coral grow similar to that of frogspawn by adding heads??

They are mislabeled all the time. In actuallity the trumpet and candycane are so similar to each other they are practically the same thing. Same genus, different species. I agree with the fellas though, looks like a trumpet to me.

The mouth is a sign of growing, but it will be a while before another head develops. Upwards of a year or more is my guess. My Lobophyhillia is making new mouths now, so I'm excited too.

:)

Hmmm...based on those pics (thanks btw Melosu58) my coral more resembles the candy cane then the trumpet. Maybe after it grows a bit more it will be easier to know for sure. what ever it is I like it and it is doing well, and it was only $2. Love those little frags!

Update 3/17/07

I'll be posting an updated pic of this coral here very soon...The split is on!!! The polyp with 2 moths has shown definate seperation or spliting...It's wild looking....I'll try and get a good pic of it posted in the next hour or so.

Ok...here are the pics....

This is the pick taken back when I originally posted this thread. I don't remember the date but it's been a few months:
candycanesr1.jpg

This is the pic taken today:
candycane31707zo9.jpg

What do you guys think? Doesn't it look like it's splitting? I'm talking about the LEFT coral...the one on the right isn't in the first pic...just the left one.

Thanks!! I love to see the growth!! I'm a sucker for those little frags...I can't pass them up....I don't mind getting little stuff and watching it grow....Therapy!!!

****Updated pics 4/21/07 Candycane / Trumpet Coral

Update on the Trumpet!!!

I took this pic on 4/21/07 this is the head above that has completed its split. Awesome little coral! I need some different colors now!

candycane42107ik6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom