Centipede?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeamTyEmily

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
image-2502221721.jpg

Does anybody know what the centipedeis called and if it is any harm to the starfish which is also pictured?? Thanks :)

Bristle worm. Also called fireworm. The proper term is polychaete worm. They are harmless. In fact, better than harmless, they are the most beneficial scavenger you can have in your tank. Give it long enough and someo e will tell you it's dangerous and get rid of it. They are wrong.
Bristle worms are wonderful cleaners, often consuming a dead animal before you can even be sure it's not simply asleep. As such, they get unfairly blamed for killing things. With very few, very specific, exceptions, these worms will not hurt any healthy animal in your tank. They will, however, do more than any other animal to keep your tank healthy.

If you see them out alot it could be a sign of a death or over feeding. I see them out around cleaning up the recently passed snails in my tank and that's about it.

Reeffanman said:
If you see them out alot it could be a sign of a death or over feeding. I see them out around cleaning up the recently passed snails in my tank and that's about it.

I don't see it too much. Just been watching the tank though now and seen another small bustle worm but also seen a black one do u know what that could be? Tried to get a photo but it shot back in its hole.

There are thousands of species. Almost all of them are beneficial. Check out the articles section of this site for an article I wrote about them called "The Dreaded Fireworm" for pics and more info.

Back
Top Bottom