Clam id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lordofsmiles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
There is this clam growing on one of my snails it looks kinda like a baby giant clam, or might be a baby oyster. I don't know ?. Someone help

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here is a pic

Attachments

• 1426879315901.jpg
    1426879315901.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 77
It actually does look like a tiny maxima clam. They need intense lighting and pristine water conditions to survive. That said, I don't see much mantle extension there and that isn't a good sign.

So do you have any advice in what I should do? Such as taking it off the snail or something? And placing it in intense light?

So, it's on a snail and has obviously attached its foot to it. This will most likely be a case of pick which one will survive. You'd have to kill the snail to keep it in a good spot and then it can still move if it wanted to...to move the clam would mean messing with the foot and damaging that would kill it. Though really cool, I wouldn't count on it being much of anything but a really fancy snail shell.
Can you get a better picture?

Best pic I could get

It's alive because after I took the picture I poked it, and it closed right up

Attachments

• 1426887520825.jpg
    1426887520825.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 63
I think it might just be a oyster

You are probably right with the elongated shape of the shell. It isn't symmetrical enough to be a clam, as it looked in the first picture. I still wouldn't expect it to be a long term inhabitant of your tank and end up being a really fancy shell.

Back
Top Bottom