Clown Fish ID Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Suprised

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased a mated pair of what were sold to me as black Sebae Clowns. I was aware at the time that they were most likely not Sebaes but they appeared very healthy and the pair got along well so I baught them anyway. I've been looking at pictures of Sebaes and I have only seen them with two stripes. The ones I have look most like Clarkiis. I dont have means to take a picture but i hope a good description will suffice.

the smaller male is almost completely black
The larger female is more dark brownish but still very dark with a browner/ yellowish coloring on her stomach. This lighter coloring gradually fades into her dark body.
three stripes
second stripe continues on the dorsal fin
third stripe ends into the yellow tail
they both have a black patch (of no discernable pattern) on the end of their tail

I was wondering if there was a type of Clarkii that is black. I was also wondering the significance if any of the (very small) black patch on there tales. I would appreciate any help.
P.S. if any more description would aid your ID i would be more than willing to provide it- I kept this as brief as i could to prevent reader boredom.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :)

By your description there are quite a few "close" match's. See if there is anything <<here>> that comes close. It's actually quite hard to ID some critters just by description. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the help. I believe it to be a Clarkii with the melanistic variation discussed on the page. That would have been my guess as they look almost identicle to other Clarkiis i have seen but these are the only Clarkiis ive seen that are black. Beautiful little fish-

Thanks a lot
Chris

Back
Top Bottom