Confirming Coral ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bioteacher

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just got home from the lfs….actually a new one. For those of you in Chicago, The Living Sea is really awesome! I am somewhat of a noob (about a year) but that place blows my lfs away!

Anyway, I grabbed a couple things from the frag tank and want to confirm their identity before I go learn all the wrong stuff.

1st one was identified to me as a Leather Coral. The only reason I ask is that a lot of the images I see online seem to have more polyp extension. Mine looks rough on the outside but not fuzzy…..if that make any sense.

2nd one was identified to me as a branching Montipora. It was definitely more orange at the store. Think its just acclimating.

3rd is obviously zoas, and I know the fun common names don't mean a whole lot, but just interested what you may have seen it called. the mouth is blueish, then a ring of pink, then ring of purple, finally green fringe. It was only $20 for like 50 heads, so I think I got a good deal on that one.

Thanks for your input!

Attachments

• IMG_7286.jpg
    IMG_7286.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_7287.jpg
    IMG_7287.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_7290.jpg
    IMG_7290.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 88
Looks like either a deflated finger leather or a mushroom leather. I'd say finger.
Second is a bleached and unhappy sps. It could be a monti, just hard to tell.
Third are zoas, but the names on zoas are just cosmetic.

Yeah the sps definitely had better color at the store, but that picture is just a couple minutes after a dip and drop to a new tank. His polyps are more open now and his color is improved though not yet back to how it looked at the store. Hopefully it will continue to improve.

I agree on the finger leather, the second looks like a bleached out orange montipora digitata, the last is watermelon zoas. Hope they color up and open nicely specially the Sps. Fast growers IME. Good luck!

I think he's looking much better. Is he bleached?

Attachments

• image-3010262268.jpg
    image-3010262268.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 65
Looks like it to me, thought there are white branching montis with orange polyps...might be the case...but either way the polyps dont seem to be extended either.

Let it acclimate more but yes, it's looking better. Btw, Sps requires more light.

Let it acclimate more but yes, it's looking better. Btw, Sps requires more light.

I know I was just letting him acclimate. I am going to move him up slowly. I have a plate monti that is about 6" from the surface that seems quite happy there.

Back
Top Bottom