Coral?? Algea?? Sea Monster???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calvin

Aquarium Advice Regular
This sprouted in one of my tanks the other day and found another one in a separate tank today. They both have live rock from the same source. It looks to be about .5 inch diameter, .5 high. If someone could tell me what this is and something about it I would be grateful. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to wake up tomorrow and it will be twice the size and by the time I get home from work it will be chewing on mailmans leg while watching south park re-runs.

Being a fairly new tank, is this a good sign? If so what special needs do these fellows have?

Sponges are natural and probably came in on your live rock. Sponges are natural filter feeders and in the right quanties they can help keep water quality up.

Special needs...

Ill go out on a limb and say none. Aside from the standard things needed for a saltwater aquarium you dont need to do anything speical to or for these sponges.

Just to echo what FF said - sponges are a beneficial part of a maturing system. They are excellent filter feeders.

Most hitchhiking sponges have no special requirements, but may fade as your tank becomes *cleaner* (less available food).

Back
Top Bottom