Coral Beauty ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTodd

Aquarium Advice Addict
This Coral Beauty was at my local Petco and as you can see is almost entirely yellow/orange on the body and even up into the fins. Not nearly as much purple as I've usually seen. Does anyone know if it's a juvenile or a deepwater or just a variant?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The color pattern varies depending on where they were collected from. Liveaquaria used to break it down, but that isn't there anymore...to include changing their tank size recommendation up to 70 gallons.
There are also some other color variations of these guys that are pretty odd, like the golden something or other...there was an article written on it. Was all yellow basically.

Yeah, Reefkeepers had an article and I've looked up a couple others. Apparently there are a lot of variations. I've just never seen one like this myself. I was leaning towards it being deepwater as those tend to be lighter than the more shallow ones, but all the deepwater pics I've seen also lack the purple "Spot" that this one has. This pic is from Reefkeepers and it kinda looks like the last one.

I may go back and grab it if it's still there tomorrow. I'm not a big fan of the regular ones, but this one is so different.

There is definitely location variation in Coral Beauties. Since this fish is found and collected in so many places, I'm surprised they haven't made them all different fish species. lol PLUS, you have to include the hybrid possibilities when they are found in the same areas as , say, lemon peels as well has Vrolickis.
Personally, I like more purple in my CBs. It shines better in the right lighting. ;) lol

(y)

It ended up having white patches on it's fins when I went back. Under normal circumstances, I would try to get them way down in the price and QT/treat it, but I'm doing a wholesale fish run next weekend if they have their licenses for 2015 all worked out. No room in my holding tanks unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom