Coral Hitchhiker ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomStav

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, I just picked up some LR rubble for my sump this morning and found this little coral. I placed it in the DT at the bottom to avoid giving it too much light. I have not really got any corals in my tank and don't know too much about keeping them. I has slowly began opening over the past few hours. Anybody know what it is, and where should I place it (height and current). I have two 10000K and Two blue 65W bulbs on a 72G bow front.

Thanks!

Tom

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

BeanPets said:
Can you get a few different angles?

Will do tomorrow, the lights are now off so they have closed up...

I was thinking a button polyp but as I said I don't know much about corals.

Thanks for the replies, it has been opening up more and more each day and I am 90% sure it is a type of palythoa, I will post a new pic once I find my camera!

I have never had the chance to get into corals but was planning on within a year or two. I would really like for this to thrive in my tank, but I don't really know too much about keeping corals...

My question is, what requirements do these corals have? I have a 72G bow front with 2x 65W 10000K & 2x 65W Actinic bulbs. Is my lighting strong enough to house these corals? Currently I have them on the sand bed and they look like a healthy color, should I raise them gradually? What amount of water flow is needed for these corals?

The salinity is usually kept around 1.022, should I raise this up to 1.025 slowly? What are the benefits and consequences of holding a higher salinity? Should I be checking my calcium and phosphate levels?

Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Tom

Here is a pic of it I took today, would you say it's a palythoa? If so any tips on caring for it would be great!

Awesome, nice little freebie! Thanks for confirming. So is my lighting sufficient for this coral to thrive? Should I raise my SG and check calcium & phosphate levels? My tank is a FOLR and I have no experience with corals but was planning on soon, so I may as well start now! Any info would be great!

Thanks,

Tom

Back
Top Bottom