Coral Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could identify our corals, we are newbies and I think we have gone in to deep to fast. We have had the tank about 3 months, and have had drama after drama. I am very very worried about the corals, as they all seem to be life less and not opening up all the way, also most of them have this cobweb type stuff coming off them. I don’t want to lose them all, but I think I am not feeding them right, maybe my water flow is not right for them. I get the water tested every few days and it is almost perfect, we just got a prizm skimmer, and use two tri-fossfa ( no idea how to spell it )lights and one marine glow. We always seem to have a low ph, I add buffer everyday.. but over night it will drop to 7.9 from 8.3.
I am so at a loss, but feel all the corals are slowly dying.
:cry:

Thanks
Lee.

1) ?Lobophyllia?
2) Sinularia sp (Finger Leather)
3) ?xenia or anthellia?
4) ????
5) Gonipora sp
6) ?Euphyllia glabrescens? (Torch Coral)
7) Calaustea sp (trumpet)
8) Sarcophyton sp (Toadstool Leather)
9) Plerogyra flexuosa (octobubble)

These are my best guesses...anything with a ?...if you will get individual pics of the animals...I (or soomeone else here) can ID them.

What are your water parameters? Temp? pH? Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate? Calcium? Alkalinity? How are you feeding the corals? The bulbs sound OK. What size tank is it and are the lights normal output or VHO? Sorry to answer your question with more questions but this info is important to determine what might be going wrong with the corals. I'm not the coral guy around here, but with this info, Kevin or Mark will be able to recommend a course of action that should put things right.
Logan J

Coral

Are you feeding them Essential Elements, Coral Accel or anything else?
You know some corals require intense lighting such as Metal Halide. Since I am a novice, I am not sure what kind of lights you have.
Temp is important also, which can be a problem if your lights are too intense and hot. You definitely need a chiller running if your lights are a hot type. And finally, I have to offer, your source for purchasing may not have good stock. There may be nothing you can do. We are so lucky here to have a good "Fishman" who is a retired Marine and very knowledgeable about reef tanks. Your photo looks great!
Lesa :D

Back
Top Bottom