Coraline algae on my sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Umpa Lumpa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I got my live rock a couple of weeks ago it had all colors of coraline algae. Pink, deep purple, light purple, green, blue, and a very bright orange.

Well today I got home from work and I see a few light orange spots just on the surface of my live sand. Now it doesn't seem slimy it just like the sand has been dyed a faint orange on most of the sand grains, a few grains in the same area is that same bright orange color on my rock.

Could that be the coraline algae growing on my sand or is that something that shouldn't be there. My tank has just finished cycleing so I think i'm gonna do a water change tonight and vacum the sand bed and see if it comes out.

I bet its coraline algae. I would say watch it for a while, if it really appears that fast it might not be coraline algae, but if you just didnt notice it before and it is growing slowly then it probably is CA.

It's probally from an urchin, they eat stuff off your rock, and the coraline can't be "processed" by them and ends up on the sand, it won't hurt a thing. I get it all the time but mine's mostly purple. HTH

Back
Top Bottom