Coralline Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrbee2828

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got some live rock a bit back and have had my tank set up for a few weeks with it. I've notice this red stuff spreading. You can see it really fuzzy on the upper rock and starting to spread on the lower rock. I wanted to make sure it was something good or find out if it was bad. Is it coralline algae which if I understand correctly is good? I've also notice the diatoms blowing up already like I had in my cichlid tank this fall but I attribute that to the filter sand I'm using. It eventually died off.

algae-001.jpg

Feels fuzzy but it took a bit of effort to scrape a bit off the rock. What are your thoughts if it were one or the other?

Well, coralline isnt fuzzy like that. It should be near impossible to scrape coralline off. It looks like algae to me. maybe a toothbrush to it at the next water change? How are your nitrates and phosphates? And do you use ro/di water or tap? Just trying to rule regular ole bad algae out. lol

Right now tap water until my new filter arrives next week from our group buy ;) (w00t!!) Like I said, it took some effort to scrap off. Maybe fuzzy wasn't the right word? Slimy? There all kinds of stuff from the previous owner in there :)

Back
Top Bottom