Coralline and hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tate

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is this the beginning of coralline if not what is it? And the tiny patch of hair algae, I think it is, would this eventually become an issue

Attachments

• 1397160935947.jpg
    1397160935947.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 203
If your refering to the rusty patches that's diatoms you get these in a new set up and it comes and go's again so don't panic if your whole tank go's brown. It's normal. Hair algae however is a different story it can quickly take over a tank and is horrible to get rid of,remove it by hand and try to be carefull that loose bits don't blow around as I can bed in again and quickly spread. Hope this helps

Why do I have hair algae... Well I know why it could be there but nitrates are only 10 and I feed every other day

I had a constant battle with it in my old system I don't really know where it came from but I think I was running my lights too long which accelerated the growth. You might find that tiny bits come in on new rock or even the bases of corals from your lfs I removed most with my hands and scrubbed the rest with a toothbrush but it always came back. If you catch it early tho like you have you should have no trouble keeping it under control or getting rid of it completely

Also keep your phosphates at 0 and nitrates should really be lower than 10 which is easier said than done!

So I tried pulling some of it off but to no avail...

Might just be diatoms again then keep an eye on it like I say it will go away it's just part of the cycle you would know if you had green hair algae just cross your fingers hard that you never do lol

Looks like diatoms to me ... I don't seem much for hair algae. I have been battling hair algae for about 6 months and it's not fun.

What are your parameters ?
What kind of lighting ?
How long are you running lights?
Are you feeding ? How often and how much ?
How often do you do water changes ?
How much?
Do you use rodi ? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397948622.229054.jpg

Yes rodi nitrates 10 nitrite ammonia 0 aqua rays light on for 5 hours feed every other day 10% weekly

Just diatoms in the picture, if you have a small patch of hair algae pull it off. How often do you do waterchanges?

Back
Top Bottom