Crab????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitch69

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This Crab (see picture, sorry about the quality) mysteriously appeared in my tank about 2 months ago, I wasn't concerned then, however it is now twice the size it was then and appears to be terryfying my other smaller tank inhabitants.

Anybody any ideas what kind of crab it is, is it potentially harmful and any suggestions as to how I could catch it as it mainly inhabits hard to access crevices in my LR?

Attachments

• crab_106.jpg
    crab_106.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 102
I'm gonna say rock crab. Removal is up to you. Some people get rid of them as soon as they find them while others keep the motto innocent til proven guilty. If it were me? I'd remove it. You could try trapping it using an tall smooth sided glass. Put some meaty bait in the bottom, tilt it near the rock you seen the crab and hope he gets hungry. This would probably work better at night. With any luck, he'll go to get a bite and the smooth sides will keep him from climbing out. Good luck.

It is really hard to tell from the pic. Does the crab have pointed claws with black tips? If so, it is a rock crab and should go to live at the LFS. It is good practice to remove any unknown crabs.

Back
Top Bottom