Crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rikbar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone.
I was wondering if you might be able to tell what kind of crab that I have in my FOWLR. It is a hole in the rock, and to my knowledge it doesn't come out. It has small black pinchers and the legs that I can see seem to have a white hair like growth on them. I know this isn't much info, I have been trying to get a picture of him for awhile now with no luck. Anyone have any quesses. Thanks

That's a preditory crab. Xanthid. He will scavange til it gets bigger then may prey on your snails.

Possibly some type of rock crab. They have black tipped pinchers. A pic would really help.
I see you are from SD. Where abouts? I ived in Sioux Falls and Brookings for a time. Both nice towns.

I am in Belle Fourche, alittle town near Spearfish and Sturgis.

the pinchers aren't black tipped, it looks like the whole "leg" is black, and the rest are black with white hair on them. He has been in there for atleast a year, every once in awhile you can see his pincher come out of the hole and looks like he is picking the live rock? I have never seen him out of his hole yet. thanks for all your help.

rikbar said:
the pinchers aren't black tipped, it looks like the whole "leg" is black.

Perhaps it is a type of mythrax crab then. I've seen large black ones. I'd just keep an eye on it. Most crabs are safe while small but can become a nuisance as they get bigger.

i had quite a few of those crabs in my tank. try and find where it hides and i use a bamboo skewer and stick some raw fish/ seaweed near his hole and youll see him possibly eat straight from the stick. Maybe youll be able to get pic.

Back
Top Bottom