Crab Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chisel

Aquarium Advice Freak
This crab is about is about a half to 3/4 of an inch. It came on the live rock that I got most of my hitchikers on. Does anybody have any ideas?

Attachments

• crabwatzit.jpg
    crabwatzit.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 85
That is a pic I've seen many many times. It is an xanthid species and is a preditory crab. He will make short work of your snails but I doubt will stop there. I had one that completely cleared my tank of nassarius snails before I caught him.

Mine looks like the exact same crab but doesnt have the black tips for claws. I have no idea where he is now. i asked this question on another forum with the same pic and got nowhere.

He will emerge at night. If it doesn't have the black tips then it might not be xanthid. If you can catch him, post a pic outside the tank and we'll see what you got. Either way though, crabs are always a risk to keep as they get larger. If you have a sump or fuge area, they do make great clean up critters but I'd be hesitant to keep one in my main tank area.

I managed to get a better look at him last night after everyone went to bed. Ok....I was up watching Monday night football. :p Anyways, After the tank lights switched over to the LED moonlights, I gave it about a half an hour and I went over tot he tank with a flashlight. Sure enough, The first spot I check, there it is. It froze like a deer in headlights. For the firs time, i was able to get a better look at it. It does have the same stripe pattern that the above pic has BUT, the claws are definitly not black. They are a light brown. It also has what looks like very corse or stiff hairs. Not a load of small ones but tall ones. Getting it out of the tank would be such a task and I would have to tear down the new aquascaping job that i did just before I started this thread. Figures, it's in one of the main support rocks.

PM melosu he has a link on catching crabs and stuff i think. There are a couple ways to do it without tearing apart your tank. Crabs are suckers for food. You can bait a trap and put it in after the lights go out and you will stand a good chance of catching him.

Back
Top Bottom