Crab or something

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeff8183

Aquarium Advice Activist
i couldnt get a pic of it because of its size and its in my water change bucket now because im not sure if its good or bad yet, it looks almost like a water bug you might see in your swimming pool buts its black with horizontal white strips, six legs, and really long pinchers anyone have any ideas? someone told me it was a mantis shrimp but it looks more like a crab to me

Almost sounds like a bubblebee shrimp. Not sure what the scientific name is but, I'll try to find a picture for you to compare it too.

Sorry i said the stripes were going the wrong way, i guess their vertical and theres only about 4 stripes any ideas

well i took him to the lfs today and they said it was a juvinille mantis shrimp so im glad i decieded to take him out while i had the chance i tought my feather star just died for no reason but since the mantis was hidding in its remains that would explain why he was in peices, thanks fluff for the help anyways

mantis shrimp

What did they say about the Mantis shrimp? I'm fairly certain that I have one, possibly two in the tank. I read you can trap them but I don't want to end up trapping one of our fish. Did the lfs mention any other ways to get rid of them?

no sorry i didnt really talk much about that since i he was already out of there i know my mom had one in her tank for almost a year before they got rid of it so next time i talk to her ill find out what was succesful

thank you jeff8183! Since I typed in my question to you I was looking at some other forums and found some detail in a thread called "all those Mantis Shrimp rumors". They gave me a referral to buying the Xterminator or a home remedy using a coke bottle and some bait. Now if I could just find a store that actually sells Coke in a bottle I'll be all set! Thanks for your quick reply, I'm quickly becoming addicted to this website!

Back
Top Bottom