crab with picture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mykpoz

Aquarium Advice Freak
this appears to be like the emeralds in my tank, so i am assuming the mithrax crab here is possibly reef safe... I have him in a container atm, but think I should put him in the sump with the LR to be safe...

any one agree/concur?

*** sorry forgot to attach image***
:oops:

Attachments

• crab_732.jpg
    crab_732.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 208
Post a pic, it could be predatory and cause problems. You can put him in the sump for now. Or you can mail me the crab so I can battle it with my mantis shrimp.

If it has the flat tip claws, chances are your correct. The tips will probably be white as well. Rather you want to risk him in your tank is up to you. Some crabs never become a problem while others do, it's a crap shoot. I do think the sump is your safest bet though.

i think helps out a bit with the ID, but i think he has found his home in the LR area of the sump...

Attachments

• crab2_115.jpg
    crab2_115.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 202
Looks like a species of decorator crab, Majidae mabye...

Cheers
Steve

both can take a shot at fish though right?

but in the tank he looked like some of the Majidae sp. I was able to google...

either way he is mixed in with a good 40lbs of LR in the sump.. hope he is happy

mykpoz said:
both can take a shot at fish though right?
Any true crab no matter the species will be a concern. Aside from that, these will rip soft corals to pieces in order to cover themselves if a decorator.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom