Crush coral turning Brown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ndirish21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have my tank for about 6 weeks now and i notice yesterday that my crush coral is starting to turn brown. What does this mean and how do i fix it?

now i have a test fish in it for 3 weeks and its been doing fine. do u think i can get more fish or should i wait?

Yes I got the water tested before I put anything in it and it was good. The local pet store told me to put a green something in it before I put in anything else to make sure he survives which he's still doing strong.

You need to test the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates to make sure the tank is stable before putting anything else in. I think you meant green chromis. Do you have a clean up crew in tank aswell.

Read our articles section on cycling a tank. Very inhumane activity to put a "test" fish in there as you'll see. You also need a test kit for ammonia and nitrite ASAP. Do not put any more fish in there until after you read and understand that article.

I got it tested and everything was fine. That's y the fish got added.

I'm still believing you're headed down the wrong road if you do not understand the cycle process. And when folks say "it tested fine", it's usually not a good sign. You gotta understand the cycle process and not rely on the guy selling fish.

Sounds like you've got your mind made up already though. Best of luck to you.

I got it tested and everything was fine. That's y the fish got added.

Have to second everything Ray is saying. Diatoms are not a big deal - aggressively and prematurely adding fishes most certainly is. Using a chromis to cycle a tank is a very old school way of thinking. Read the previously linked article on cycling a tank - it is VERY important that you read and understand all of it before you do anything else. There's a reason that reef tanks don't suddenly show up ready to go overnight - and that's what cycling is all about: building up a supply of the natural bacteria in your tank that will eventually filter out fish poo and other assorted bad stuff. Basically, you need your water quality to get bad so it can get good - and thats why you do NOT add fish immediately!!!

I would like to add that an understanding of the nitrogen cycle doesn't just help with cycling a tank. Down the road when you have issues or add stuff to your tank, it will help you understand what is happening with the ecosystem that is your tank. It changes every time a fish or invert or coral is added. Understanding the cycle process is the root of fishkeeping (SW or FW). Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom