Cyano algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishybuisness

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had this algae for a while not thinking about it. However I now believe it might be red cyano...can anyone positively I.d. it? Its fuzzy..which is wired. Almost like q turf.

Attachments

• 1389572701599.jpg
    1389572701599.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 1389572718051.jpg
    1389572718051.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 1389572735737.jpg
    1389572735737.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 112
is it really easy to scrape off? or do you need to really dig in there to remove it?

cyano... normally takes a lot of effort to scrape off the rocks

is it really easy to scrape off? or do you need to really dig in there to remove it?

Yeah it doesn't come right off I always try and vacuum it off too and it doesn't budgel

Cyano is ridiculously easy to remove. A turkey baster can get it off.

If it's hard, it should be coraline algae. Are you sure it's fuzzy, or just hard and encrusted?

It's defiantly not coralline and I have physically tried to scrape it off but it defiantly doesn't vaccum off.. And yeah its fuzzy you can see that from the pics. Its a Maroon color

coralline normally is encrusted and you can break hard pieces off, but cyano is more fuzzy and goes everywhere when you remove it off the rock while in the tank.

lol rick... a turkey baster??? does your rocks have some anti-stick on it or something lol.... I try to remove it from my rock and its a nightmare for me

I don't agree. Cyano is so easy to take off even just by siphoning it off either rocks or the sand bed. If it is not encrusted and very hard to scrape off, then it sounds like its Cyano to me. Coraline is usually more pink / purple in colour.

If it isn't coraline, then it is algae of some time. In my tank, I have this red algae that grows in tufts. You can't vacuum it out, but you can pretty easily pull it out for the most part. Total nuisance and a pain...sound familiar to what you have? If so, it isn't cyano bacteria or coraline...just a pain if you let it start overwhelming things. It feeds off of the excess nutrients in your water column, just like cyano and other nuisance algaes do.
Another View on Algae Control - Helpful Tips - Aquarium Advice

If it isn't coraline, then it is algae of some time. In my tank, I have this red algae that grows in tufts. You can't vacuum it out, but you can pretty easily pull it out for the most part. Total nuisance and a pain...sound familiar to what you have? If so, it isn't cyano bacteria or coraline...just a pain if you let it start overwhelming things. It feeds off of the excess nutrients in your water column, just like cyano and other nuisance algaes do.
Another View on Algae Control - Helpful Tips - Aquarium Advice

Sounds like it! Its looks like Velcro almost..the solid red part of it doesn't scrap off easily nor does the Velcro part...here's another pic

Attachments

• 1389631803158.jpg
    1389631803158.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 80
How should I approach it? I didn't get to look at the link yet if the info is in there sorry.

Read the articles in terms of addressing nutrients that can be feeding it. Other than that, that is an easy piece of rock to take out and scrub with a toothbrush. Rinse it in old tank water and put it back. I can't take the rock out in my tank so I pull it out during water changes.

Back
Top Bottom