"damsel" angel ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
went to a big box pet store today and saw this labeled as "assorted damsel" for $4.99. now I haven't been on the salty side for a terribly long time, but it's not my first day reefing either. is this a juvie koran angel or a juvie emperor angel? I understand the risk when it comes to angels and corals/inverts but I would like to know what this "damsel" is.

Juvenile annularis angel. Hope you have a huge tank.....
+1 They are gorgeous fish both as juvies and adults but def not reef safe.

Had it been a Koran, the white lines would have been in a semicircle pattern and if an Imperator, the lines would have formed circles. There is one other very unlikely possibility which is Pomocanthus striatus (rhomboides). Here's a pic:

but this fish is so rare in the hobby that I doubt that a big box store would even get one let alone mismark one. lol Probably more like $499. not $4.99 ;)

Hope this helps (y)

i can see how it's not an emperor angel, but how can you tell the difference between an annularis and a koran?

The tail on the Korans usually has the same coloration as the body, where the annularis usually stays clear/whiteish.

Back
Top Bottom