Diatoms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Only200

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just moved my tank about a month ago. My first tank given to me. The tank has been running for about a year but only been in my home for a month. I have brown algy growing on sand it just started yesterday. I think it's diatoms I was told that it's normal to just let it grow it will go away in time. I don't know if I believe this so I'm asking the novice question what should I do? My hermit crabs are eating it but I only have two hermits in a 250gal I plain on going to my lfs today it's new fish day woohoo. Ammonia 0 nitrates 10 nitrites 0 ph 8.0 inhabitants longhorned cow, volition lion fish, and a banded cat shark. I'm planning to sell the cow it's about 6" now how much do you think it's worth?? Thanks

Does it blow away easy with a turkey baster? If so, diatoms. If its kind of sticky and clumpy, I have the same thing and it's Cyano.

Attachments

• image-494133804.jpg
    image-494133804.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 71
Yeah it blows away easy here's a pic

Attachments

• image-1397989577.jpg
    image-1397989577.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 73
I would get more crabs when you go to the store today. I just had my diatom bloom in my 12 gallon last week... added 5 redtip and a zebra crab, and it was all gone over night.

Get more CRABS!!!! It will help.

Munch munch yay crabs thanks

Attachments

• image-1399642499.jpg
    image-1399642499.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 58
Well does it mean it's the end of the cycle? I have had my 55 gallon running about 30 days and brown stuff came about t a week or two I have 2 clowns and 1 damsel

Back
Top Bottom